A J1 Visa
is a non-immigrant visa for individuals who are traveling on work or are making a short term visit to USA as a student or scholar in US Universities. This is a unique visa that allows the individual to both study and work.
A J2 Visa holder is the dependent of the J1 Visa holder. Spouse and children of J1 visa holders are usually the recipients of the J2 Visa. You could visit US on J1 Visa as AU pair, Nanny, Short term Scholar, Teacher, Trainee, Intern, Researcher or even as a College or University Student to name a few popular J1 visa programs.
Traveling to the US on J1
or J2 Visa
calls for having a good health insurance plan for the entire duration of the program in US. The US department of state has set a standard set requirements for health insurance that the insurance plan must satisfy. This is applicable to J2 Visas as well. Most of the time the University that the J1 scholar gets into will sponsor the health insurance but sometimes they will have to purchase private health insurance plans.
Here are the set of requirements that are need to be satisfied.
American student insurance
- Medical Benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- A policy underwritten by an insurance carrier with:
- an A.M. Best rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above
- a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims paying Ability rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above
- a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ‘‘B+’’ or above
- a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above
- a Moody’s Investor Services rating of ‘‘A3’’ or above
gives you excellent choices with the health insurance plans that satisfy all the above requirements. Apart from these above mentioned requirements sometimes J2 dependents might need coverage for pregnancy. Here at American Student Insurance we have plans that provide coverage for pregnancy
but there might be exclusion period for the coverage to become effective. Existing pregnancy is not covered in any of these insurance plans. Please see the list of popular plans and their coverage details for pregnancy and other plan specific features.
Student Secure Select
: For a covered pregnancy, this plan provides maternity care coverage but there is a co-insurance amount that is applicable after the deductible where inside the PPO network the company will cover 80% of the expense up to first $5000 and outside the PPO network the company will cover 60% of the first $5000.
: Maternity - available for participants and eligible spouse only
Study USA from Travel Insurance Services
- Non U.S. Students: 80% to $5,000 in PPO / 60% to $5,000 outside PPO; 80% to per injury/illness max in PPO / 60% to per injury/illness max outside PPO
- U.S. Citizens: 80% to $5,000 or 100% to per injury/illness max
- Newborn care: $250 or $750 regardless of citizenship
There are 2 kinds in this plan. Standard and Preferred. Pregnancy is covered if the conception occurs after the plan insurance plan becomes effective.
Please see our website
for more information on plans and suitable options. Please contact our customer support at +1 (877) 340 7910
or email us
in case of any questions.