Insurance for F2 visa holders (dependents of F1 visa holder)

The following are privileges on the F2 visa:

  • Enter the US along with your spouse or join him or her at a later date.
  • Travel in and out of the US or remain in the US continuously as long as you maintain a valid F-2 status.

Given the high cost of healthcare within the US, it is however imperative that F2 visa holders get proper medical insurance. Quite often F2 visa holders can be insured on the same policy as the F1 visa holder, alternatively, you can buy a separate plan independent of the insurance for the F1 visa holder. This separate plan does have advantages in that the coverage can be for different time duration, if the F2 visa holder travels outside the USA independent of the F1 visa holder. Another advantage is that while most plans for students (F1 visa holder) have requirements that the insured is taking coursework within the university, and hence are limited in the choice of available plans, this restriction is not there for F2 visa holders.

They have therefore a greater range of plans to choose from. Most student specific insurance plans available for F1 Visa’s are not available for F2 visa holders unless the F2 visa holder is on the same policy as the F1 visa holder. The Patriot Exchange is one exception which allows F2 visa holders to buy the plan even if the accompanying F1 visa holder does not have the Patriot Exchange plan.

Compare insurance plans that are ideal for F2 Visa Holders

Please contact our licensed agents at +1 (877) 340 7910 or Click to send mail, and we will provide possible plan options



Key Features
  • Incidental home country up to cumulative 2 weeks
  • Sports
  • Maternity   Maternity
  • Pre-Existing Cover Yes No
  • What's Covered?



Key Features
  • Incidental home country 15 days per three months
  • Sports
  • Maternity   Maternity
  • Acute onset of pre-existing condition
  • What's Covered?




Key Features
  • Incidental home country up to cumulative 14 days
  • High school sports
  • Maternity   Maternity
  • Pre-existing conditions
  • What's Covered?
How do I apply for F-2 visa?
To apply for F-2 visa, you must provide the following documents:
  • Completed Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, for dependents that is issued to the F-2 dependent.
  • If applying at an US consulate:
    • Filled in Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
    • One recent color photograph (37 x 37mm) for each applicant with the full face visible. The picture should be taken before a light background and without head covering
    • A passport, valid for travel to the U.S. for at least six months longer than your intended visit
  • If Applying for a change of status, Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant status:
    • Copy of your marriage certificate for a dependent spouse
    • Copy of birth certificate for a dependent child below 21 years
    • Proof of adequate finances for your support
    • Proof that you will depart when the student's education is completed
Note: If you are joining the prospective student later, you will need to submit Form I-20 A-B, endorsed from the school that the F-1 student is attending. Credits: VisaPro
Welcome to American Student Insurance  -  Online Chat
Name is required
Email is required Email is invalid
Contact is required