American Student Insurance - Frequently Asked Questions

International students from different nations studying in the USA and having valid F1 or J1 visas and enrolled for a full time academic/ cultural program at an accredited school college or university are eligible to buy international student insurance.
This will depend on the specific insurance plan, however there are insurance plans that allow dependents of students to buy student insurance. The criteria is they must be spouse and/or child under the age of 18. The dependent may apply for insurance along with the student or within 31 days of birth, legal adoption, marriage or arrival in country of study.
You can purchase student insurance plans regardless of how long you are away from home country. But the eligibility requirements described earlier has to be met.
Yes, after the enrollment is processed, the insurance certificate plan will be mailed to the mailing address provided at the time of enrollment.
The coverage of student insurance can come into effect as soon as the following day after the online enrollment. This is however contingent on the enrollment being done correctly and the premium being received correctly.
In order to provide you compliance form signed we must first ensure that you have selected a right plan that can meet compliance form requirements and the provider is ready to sign off on it. To do this we suggest that you first send us the compliance waiver form by email. We will review to see which of our plans match the compliance form and then check with the plan administrator to see if they agree to sign it. Once we have their approval we will inform you. Then you should purchase the international student Insurance. After your purchase (enrollment) is complete, simply fax your school's Compliance Form to us and we will ensure that it is completed and faxed back to your school.
Yes, As long as you are eligible. You should renew the student insurance plan online at least 24 hours before your policy expires. If you wish to renew via fax or mail then please allow at least 10 business days for renewal.
For international students in the USA you can choose any of these options. If you choose to be seen at your Student Health Center, you will receive the in-network benefit. Do note that several plans waive the deductible for visits to the Student Health Center. In case if you are using a doctor or hospital within the extensive preferred provider network you will pay a lower deductible and reach your plan limits more slowly than if you go outside the network.
Please enter US address which is your destination in the "Mailing address" and enter the Canadian address for the "Billing address" and you should be able to get through the purchase.
Most of our student insurance plans have extensive provider network. To get more details on a particular plan�s network please go to the individual plan summary, or refer to the policy brochure for that specific plan. You can also call our 24 hour customer care line at 1-877-340-7910.
If there is a situation where there is no provider from your network qualified to provide the care needed within a 50 mile radius of your residence, you may choose to be treated outside the Network by a non-network provider. In this situation, benefits will be paid at in-network level.
As long as you fulfill one of the eligibility requirements described in Q1, the plan will cover you worldwide, except in your country of permanent residence/country of Citizenship
Some of student insurance plans offered on American Student Insurance cover pre-existing health conditions. Pre-existing conditions are defined by the policy as "an injury, illness or condition which was contracted or which first manifested itself, or for which a licensed physician was consulted, or for which treatment or medication was prescribed, prior to the effective date of the insurance plan".
Most plans will exclude pre existing condition coverage for a short period of 6 to 12 months following the effective date of coverage unless stipulated by State or Federal regulation. A Covered Person seeking coverage of a pre-existing condition must fulfill this waiting period without any gaps in insurance.
Yes, many of our policies do cover pregnancy of an insured student or enrolled spouse if the pregnancy begins during the coverage period. They do not however cover the pregnancy of a dependent child.
Please send us any correction in writing by email, fax or mail and we will confirm the changes. When you are sending correspondence, please include a daytime phone number and reference your Online Order Transaction number.
F1 student�s in the US are eligible to get internship on a work permit for 12 months. Since these students are no longer taking courses in the university many schools do not provide student insurance coverage. These students are considered as Optional Practical Training (OPT) and will not be eligible for international student insurance. International students can not avail domestic health insurance coverage as they are not US citizens or permanent residents (Green Card Holders). However, at American Student Insurance, we offer insurance plans for OPT students which are both affordable and comprehensive in their coverage.
Most of the student plans have a minimum of 6 months waiting period for coverage of pre existing conditions. There is one Global plan from GeoBlue called the Navigator plan that waives the waiting period only if there is prior creditable coverage
It means that the pre existing condition coverage waiting period can be eliminated if the individual has been covered by creditable group or individual health insurance plan
Unfortunately, we do not have any plans that provides maternity coverage for an existing pregnancy.
Yes. J2 Visa holder can be the primary insured and the child who is on J2 can be a dependent on the plan.
Student plans have a minimum of 6 months waiting period for covering pre existing conditions.
As a F1 visa international student, you can definitely buy the plans that we offer on our website. The J1 visa requirements are specific requirements which some of our F1 visa plans also satisfy as required by the US consulates. To reiterate, as a F1 visa holder, you can buy the plans on American Student Insurance.
There are several plans such as Patriot Exchange from IMG, Study USA from Travel Insure. If you need a plan from HCCMIS, then you can go for Atlas America which is a comprehensive plan and suitable for F1 Visa holder unless the University has any specifications.
No, Patriot Exchange from the same company IMG is suitable for this kind of situation.
Welcome to American Student Insurance  -  Online Chat
Name is required
Email is required Email is invalid
Contact is required